[Nmabs] October minutes for NMABS

NMABS President nmabs.president at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 05:43:27 UTC 2011

New Mexico Association of Blind Students Meeting Minutes

October 16, 2011

This meeting was held via teleconference

Meeting came to order at 7:05 PM.

Roll Call of Members:

Tara Chavez

David Abraham

Amanda Youngblood

Josh Brownell

Christopher Chavez

Michael Postlethwait

Introduction of guests: We had no guests attend this meeting.

Minutes from the previous meeting: We had no minutes. We discussed the
secretarial position.

Treasurer's report: Tara gave the following report due to the absence of the
Treasurer. Our current balance is: $1,130.51. David Moved to approve the
report, everyone seconded, motion carried.

Disability Awareness Day at UNM will be Friday October 21, 2011; 10:00-2:00
on the North side of the sub upper plaza. Students willing or able to come:
Michael, Josh, Amanda, and Tara. David will let Tara know by Wednesday if he
can make it.

Update: Josh, Amanda, and Chris were able to help with Disability Awareness
day and it was a slow day, but there were three people who participated in
the blindfold challenge and two of the prints were sold. Thank you all for
participating.

We discussed the t-shirt prices. David moved to keep the sail price at $5
per shirt as it was at the end of national convention, Amanda seconded,
motion carried.

Community Service:

We are still having the stuffed animal drive. If we don't get more stuffed
animals it was decided that we end the drive on November 11 and begin a new
project. Update: Tara announced the stuffed animal drive at the Albuquerque
chapter meeting and they would like to give animals through their next
meeting therefore, the new end date for the stuffed animal drive is:
11/15/11.

We discussed feeding the homeless.

Each person in the group would buy various items to put in the lunches for
this project. NMABS will reimburse you. We will meet at Tara and Chris's
home on November 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM to make the lunches. Then we will go
down to the Albuquerque Rescue Mission to hand out the lunches. Tara and
Chris's address is: 4000 Hendrix Rd. NE. Albuquerque NM 87110. Contact Tara
for directions.

Here is a list of what people are providing:

Michael: European cookies

Amanda: Apple Slices or Carrots

David: Bread

Josh: Water

Tara: Paper goods, peanut butter and jelly as well

If you are willing to help with this project please contact Tara with what
you can buy. If we need to do a group run to Costco since not all of us have
Costco Memberships, please let Tara know ASAP.

David moved to make November 20th the day to feed the homeless, Josh
seconded, motion carried.

The Braille Readers Are Leaders contest runs from 11/1/2011 through
1/4/2012. Interested participants need to register online at
www.nfb.org/bral. NMABS will have a team this year. We haven't come up with
a name yet.

Student Seminar:

The seminar will be held on December 17th 2011 8:00-5:00 for NMABS Members
and 9:00-4:30 for attendees. The Location is to be announced via email.
Possibilities are the Pre-school for the blind or the Skills Center at the
commission for the blind.

We discussed having a bake sale at the seminar to help raise funds. We would
ask for volunteers to bake goods for our cause.

We discussed fundraising. The idea came up that NMABS have a Bon Appetite
Friday November 11, 7:00-11:00 PM at Tara and Chris's house. We would have
food and then a game night for those who want to stay later. We would
include all the Albuquerque area.

Amanda summarized the Presidential release.

Meeting adjourned at 9:15 PM.