[Nmabs] Fwd: [nabs-l] Mississippi State University Mentoring Project

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:14:18 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Candice Chapman <warren.mercy at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:47:41 -0500
Subject: [nabs-l] Mississippi State University Mentoring Project
To: NABS LIst <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>

When I started the process of deciding what I wanted to be when I grow
up, I had to do a lot of research to find the career that would fit me
the best. After a lot of trial and error, I finally decided that I
wanted to be a high school guidance counselor. Once I came to this
conclusion, my work still wasn't done. I had to figure out how to get
from point A (deciding on my career) to point B (finishing
requirements to achieve my career goal). Fortunately I had a few
people who had already been down this path before me and were able to
assist me as I traveled, and continue to travel, the road to becoming
a guidance counselor.

As I continue my journey, I'm fortunate to have several mentors who
are there to answer questions and provide assistance crossing the next
hurdle to get to my ultimate goal. I was lucky enough acquire these
mentors along the way, but you don't have to depend on luck if you're
looking for a mentor that has already established in the career that
you've decided to pursue.
The National Research and Training Center on Blindness and Low Vision
is starting a mentoring program that will pair students with career
mentors. The goal of this program is to provide not only a role model
in the field of your choice, but also someone who can help you reach
your goals, goals that they once had themselves. If you're interested
in the program please contact Jamie O'Mally. Her contact information
is included on the flyer that is attached to this email. Jamie will
also be attending National Convention. She'll be speaking at the NABS
Business Meeting and will be around to answer any questions that you
may have in person.
Again, for Jamie's contact information see the attached flyer.
Warmest regards,
Candice Chapman

--
Darian Smith

"To dream what is possible and to put oneself in service of that dream is the
formula
for a life well lived."

- Dr. Peter Benson