[Nmabs] Nabs needs your letters

Jonathan Franks jfranks at nfbtx.org
Wed Sep 16 17:20:46 UTC 2015

Are you a current student or recent graduate of a college or
  university who has been forced to struggle in your classroom because
  of inaccessible instructional materials? If so, the legislative
  committee of the National Association of Blind Students, a proud
  division of the National Federation of the Blind, needs your help. We
  are currently seeking testimony that we can share with your member of
  Congress concerning problems blind students are encountering while
  attempting to utilize inaccessible learning media. Examples might
  include: inaccessible e-readers and tablets, difficult to read
  electronic media such as improperly tagged or inaccessible PDF files,
  and course management software that cannot be accessed by students
  using screen readers. We also need to know if your school's
  registration process allows you to sign up for classes independently,
  and whether or not you can read course descriptions and access
  collaboration software used on your campus.

  I am the person designated to gather stories from students in New Mexico.
  So, I encourage you to take a few minutes to write a short narrative,
  and submit it to me at jfranks at nfbtx.org. Please include your physical
  address so we can submit your comments to your representative in
  Congress. If you need help drafting your comments, please feel free to
  contact me for assistance. I also encourage people who are not
  students, but who wish to support our effort to make post-secondary
  education more accessible for blind students, to write letters that
  state your position on this important issue. You may also submit your
  letters to me at the email address listed here. Thanks for your help,
  and let's work together to make full access to the university
  classroom a reality for all blind students.

  I have attached a sample letter written by NABS President Sean Whalen
  to help guide your letters. However, I do encourage you to write these
  letters in your own words to best reflect your own personal stories
  and struggles.

  I look forward to receiving your submissions

  Jonathan Franks
  Board Member
  National Federation of the Blind of Texas
  Treasurer
  Texas Association of Blind Students