[nobe-l] Introduction

Reanne Tangedal reannewithaplan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 19:43:55 UTC 2008

Hi.  This is Reanne Tangedal.  Just to add to the info about chalkboards--I know there are electronic boards that can be connected to computers called Smart Boards.  I have not had much experience using them, but others have found them quite useful.  My home town school has purchased a couple smart boards that are being used by sighted teachers in a couple elementary classrooms.  I believe the smart boards operate by connecting to a computer and/or large monitor and whatever you write on the board shows up on the monitor.  I have heard these boards are great tools for demonstrating handwriting in the classroom as well.  I used something like an electronic board when engaging in math classes in college.  When I worked on math problems in the Disabilities Support Services office with a math tutor, I wrote my work out on a white board using the "smelly" markers.  I moved the board forward to a new writing surface by pressing a button, and could move back to the previous window of written work whenever I desired.  The only way anything could be lost was if it was erased.  What was so neat about this board was that you could print out your written work on smooth white paper.  There was a print button on the electronic board that you pressed when you were ready to print work out.  You could write your problems as large or as small as you wished, and as long as nothing ws erased, you could make multiple copies.  I think this board was called an electronic easel.  I am not sure if this was of any help, but hopefully it was a start.  I am sure there are those on this list who have had more experience using different kinds of writing boards as alternatives to the traditional chalkboards.  Another thought is the use of PowerPoint presentations.  These would be great alternatives in contrast to an overhead projector or chalkboard.  The information can be prepared on the PowerPoint ahead of time and handouts can be created to provide the students with information presented in lectures.  I used a traditional whipe-off white board and markers when in the elementary classrooms and worked with the overhead projector a little, which presented some challenges.  Again, I hope my thoughts were of some use.  Good luck and keep on the list--it is a great way to exchange thoughts and ideas on numerous teaching issues and topics.

Reanne Tangedal