[nobe-l] Fwd: [bana-announce] BANA Launches LouisBraille200thCelebration Activities Listing

Natalie Martiniello nmartiniello at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 02:51:12 UTC 2008

Hi there,

I don't think the fact that you are sighted will make a difference. It's all
about how much effort and dedication you put towards it: A lot like learning
a language.

I think many sighted people are intimidated by braille, but once you start
to understand the logic behind the six dots, you'll see that it isn't
anymore difficult to learn. Much like anything else, practise makes perfect.
Also, if you have any questions as you go along, you can always ask members
of this list (or email me privately).

I think the hardest part will be training your fingers to distinguish the
different symbols, but that comes with time. I know many sighted instructors
learn braille visually, but I'd encourage anyone to try and be able to read
it by touch as well - It's good modelling for students.

Good luck!

Natalie.