[nobe-l] writing French in Braille

Carolyn Brock mmebrock at SpiritOne.com
Wed Sep 9 14:46:33 UTC 2009

Hello, Dacia,
    I taught high school French for many years
and studied Braille in France.  Good for you for
wanting your student to learn to read and write French properly in Braille!
    If all you want to do is teach your student
the proper use of the accented letters using
Grade 1 (called intégral    in French), I can
easily send you that information.  Contact me off-list.
    But the French version of Grade 2 (called
abrégé) is wonderful, much more contracted than
it is in English, and it would teach your student
a great deal about French spelling patterns,
prefixes and suffixes, common phrases,
etc.      For this, you would need to get some
materials, which may or may not be available on
line.  Contact the Association Valentin Haüy in
Paris, the largest organization for the blind in
France.  (If you use JAWS as your screenreader,
this site should come up in French pronumciation:   http://www.avh.asso.fr/

    You might also try the Canadian National
Institute for the Blind.  Their primary facility
is in Toronto, but they may have a francophone
branch in Montréal.  If you need to   order
printed or brailled materials, it may be faster and cheaper to order from them:
http://www.cnib.ca/

    Feel free to e-mail me directly, and we can
exchange phone numbers if necessary.
    Best of luck!
Carolyn