[nobe-l] student teaching and advice

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Wed Apr 7 16:12:34 UTC 2010

Hi there. I'm not sure if I posted on this topic or not, but here goes. As
far as  my experiences studentteaching most everything I tried worked. I was
extremely creative in some of my teaching strategies. I had no assistance
aside from the mentor teacher.  I  had her assist me with hand-written
paper, but many people on this list suggested having students turn in their
papers electronically. The only reason it didn't work for my classes was
because a notebook had already been started (a bound notebook, not a 3-ring
binder) as a writing journal. Also there was some concern about students
using  online translation software. (I taught Spanish, btw)..
Classroom management: I just stayed in close proximity to my students.  As
far as questions, I knew wheremy students were sitting. If they acted like
they waned to answer, I'd call on them. I'd also, even for those students
who didn't want to answer, cover both sides of the room equally. Thre are
those high school students who would rather be listeners rather than active
participants. I called onthem at least once during a class period.

Hope and Beignet