[nobe-l] teaching questions

Kathy Nimmer goldendolphin17 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 13 19:30:45 UTC 2010

Anita,

  You wrote right after I reached my designated break in grading, hence the quick reply.  Good timing!  As for memorizing names, I do force myself to memorize first names alphabetically the first weekend after the first week of school.  I simply drill it.  I take three names and commit them to memory.  Then I add three more and try all six.  I keep building.  Sometimes when I am feeling very confident, I'll take roll that next Monday without paper, and this impresses the heck out of the kids!  I don't always do that, though.  I don't memorize last names in this exercise, but I add those gradually.  Does this mean I know their voices?  No way!  You will learn the participating kids' voices quickly as well as the trouble-makers.  The quiet ones, you may never learn.  I always tell them to identify themselves by name when they talk to me outside of the normal classroom scene.  So, if they have a question after class or see me in the hall, I require that they say who they are.  It can be awkward, but it is worse when I assume it is someone and get it wrong.  Again, if that voice has become very clear for whatever reason, it is good to say Hi Sam when you see San, but context changes voices and connections, so I don't venture that often to doing that unless I'm pretty confident.  Also use context clues about their conversation topic, their height, and other such factors if you are talking to someone without knowing for sure who it is and you don't want to ask for whatever reason.  As for getting bored, I do get bored after repeating things too many times.  I then change things up with new lessons.  For instance, I am teaching TALE OF TWO CITIES right now for probably the ninth time.  I love the book, and the kids struggle with it.  I tried something new with the chapter where the poor slum of Saint Antoine was described.  I made modified Bingo cards, designated the three pages in the chapter that had the most descriptions of poverty, had them divide into groups, told them to fill in each space with a specific detail of poverty, and played Bingo with it the next day.  I made a list of 35 details I found in that segment and numbered them.  I randomly picked a detail to read out.  The kids had put their details in different boxes and circled a detail when I called out one they had.  Because their cards had something like 24 slots and I had 35 details, it was likely they had many of mine, even if they didn't understand Dickens all the way.  When they got Bingo, they read me back the details.  I had candy for them if they got Bingo across, which was only three spaces.  The team to be the first to get Bingo downward with eight spaces got extra credit.  To spice it up, I tossed them the candy!  Not necessary but darned entertaining.  They had fun, learned, got comfortable with my blindness and bad throws, enjoyed a treat, and saw that even Dickens could be enjoyable.  I didn't do that last year.  I probably will do it for a few more years, and then I'll trust my creativity to come up with something new.  So, if you are passionate and creative and willing to try and fail or succeed and be okay with both, you will not be bored for long.  Plus, you might not teach the same thing each year, and book adoption means new materials periodically too.  Good questions.

Kathy Nimmer: Teacher, Author, Motivational Speaker
http://www.servicedogstories.com
http://guidedogjourney.livejournal.com
Even if the shadows of the valley hide your view,
You still must believe in the mountains.