[nobe-l] Questions

Sharon Dudley sharon.a.dudley at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 17:12:15 UTC 2011

Danielle,

I am a totally blind pre-k teacher, teaching sighted children.  I do have an
assistant, just like every pre-k teacher in my county.  When I used to teach
kindergarten, at first I had an assistant one-fourth of the time.  The
assistant was split between 4 classes.  Later, when my county wasn't in such
a budget crunch, I had a full-time assistant in kindergarten.  I had 3
different paraprofessionals at different times, so some of their duties were
to mark attendance for me (either on a paper copy or on the computer),
assist with behavior (such as "Toby, stop pulling on Annie's hair"), and
help me watch the children on the playground and in centers.  I'm not sure
what grade level you want to teach, but I find that young children do adapt
very well to my disability, bringing me things that they want me to look at,
saying "Look at this" and handing it to me.  I could go on for days with
this email.  It might be better if you just ask me specific questions.

Sharon Dudley