[nobe-l] Re Liz's questions

James Fetter jfetter at nd.edu
Mon Aug 22 18:08:02 UTC 2011

I have heard that both the BrailleNote and PacMate are supposed to be
able to hook up to a monitor and display documents, but I have never
used them for that purpose, so I'm not sure about their limitations or
compatibility with specific monitors. I was able to get an external
Braille display through my state's department for the blind at no cost
to me, so that might be an option for those interested in going that
route. The one major advantage I found of using a laptop and a Braille
display is versatility, especially when I had to be able to go to a
specific page in a word document. This was very helpful in conference
presentations, in which I had to be ready for someone to ask a question
about a claim made on a specific page in my paper or even within a
footnote--that happened once. It also came in handy when discussing
papers with students. I'm not sure if the BrailleNote Apex has a word
processor that allows you to go to a particular page in a word document
or to bring up footnotes, endnotes, etc; I know the PacMate and older
model BrailleNote I previously used did not.
All Best,
James