[nobe-l] Learn how to be the Best Speller

Dr. Denise M Robinson deniserob at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 21:16:45 UTC 2011

JAWS talking software and a PC offer wonderful options to becoming a great
speller....Between the applications key and the numpad, you too can become
a stellar speller.

How to Begin: Watch video at Youtube: Learn How to be the BEST
speller<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBIu1E_ZTqs>
The student's braille list is brailled out using contracted and
uncontracted braille. They practice brailling the words, using contractions
on their braille tool, whether a brailler or adapted note taker. Then they
go to the computer and braille out the list in preparation of taking the
spelling test on the computer. Once they finish taking an exam, they can
email the test immediately to the teacher, when the teacher collects the
other students' test. It is all about the ability to finish work in the
same space of time as their peers. This is a great example to show them
they can do a task just as quickly.

When practicing their spelling words, they type out the word, using
insert+2 and use the words and characters options, so JAWS speaks every
character and every word as the student types. After they type the word, I
have them double check it by going to the numpad and hitting insert+5 so
JAWS says the word again, then they hit insert+5 twice quickly to have the
word spelled to them. If they have difficulty with the word, they will then
type it out 10 times to remember the correct spelling.

If the student struggles with spelling, I have them use the applications
key which is a standard key on any PC keyboard, so anyone can use this
feature. They type a word, hit the applications key which will give them
the correct spelling (if the word is not too poorly spelled) and they arrow
to the correct options. They then type out the word even more times, then
double checking with their brailled spelling list. Of course, they know
they cannot use this option while taking a test, but this will be a life
long skill to use when writing.

Being dyslexic, reading and writing have always been a struggle for me.
When I learned about the applications key, I truly thought this was a gift
from God and HIS grace. I teach this option to any of my students who
struggle with spelling and the sighted students quickly want to use the
same feature. With technology, we can enhance our abilities that are buried
beneath us, but we cannot get out for one reason or another. A disability
becomes an ABILITY through technology.

Lessons to help teach and Learn:
Office 2003-Word-Students who need to create a spelling
list<http://www.yourtechvision.com/products/office-2003-word-students-who-need-create-spelling-list>
Office 2010-Word-Students who need to create a spelling
list<http://www.yourtechvision.com/products/office-2010-word-students-who-need-create-spelling-list>
Spell check as you type—finding the secrets to
spelling<http://www.yourtechvision.com/products/spell-check-you-type%E2%80%94finding-secrets-spelling>
Word-getting rid of auto formats in
documents<http://www.yourtechvision.com/products/word-getting-rid-auto-formats-documents>

--
 Denise

Denise M. Robinson, TVI, Ph.D.
CEO, TechVision
Virtual Instructor for blind/low vision

Website with hundreds of informational articles & lessons all done with
keystrokes: www.yourtechvision.com