[nobe-l] working with younger kids

Sharon Dudley sharon.a.dudley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 23:08:49 UTC 2011

Ashley,

When I started, I was legally blind and now I'm totally blind.  I had no
peripheral vision, mostly central vision.

I used the white boards for the kids to write whole sentences and the truth
is I modeled the letters first on the white boards, then they wrote after
me.  I also have many books that I made with a computer friend of mine,
where the children could practice writing on a dotted font.  The most
essential thing in kindergarten is that the children love to write.  I've
seen too many teachers browbeat the kids about their penmanship when that's
not the most important thing for a 5-year-old.  The most important thing is
to communicate thoughts and ideas onto the paper.  I also asked my children
to tell me what they wrote.  You can use a hand-held tape recorder.
And that's so necessary because it's really what the child thinks they wrote
that's crucial.  I did have some sighted help to look at papers, but I think
that you can find teenagers from the local high schools who need community
service hours to help you out with things like this.

For songs I really like Dr. Jean Feldman and Jack Hartmann.  They have
several CD's out which tell you in a song how to make the letter.  The
children learn which letters go up to the top line, which go to the middle
dotted line, and which letters have a tail.  Air writing is very useful.
You just have to remember, if you're facing the kids, to make the letter the
correct way.

Sharon