[nobe-l] Methods/student teaching questions!

Jenna and Bilko lilstarlet09 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 01:16:50 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I haven't been replying to messages much, but I am a junior at Bowling
Green State University in Ohio, and starting methods next year.  I am
totally blind (well no usable vision for a classroom anyway), and am
wondering a few things:
1.  how any totally blind teachers grade papers?  I'm a special Ed
major, and may be teaching elementary.  I could use a reader, but
wouldn't them reading the handwriting be more like them grading the
paper since they'd have to interpret it?  I could have them spell
words that were spelled wrong, but I'm not sure what to do about the
interpreting handwriting part. How do you grade papers? If I'm in high
school, most papers would be submitted electronically, so that is good
since I can use jaws and my braille note.

2.  Is it possible to use a smartboard with jaws or Voiceover?  If so, how?
3.  Any useful classroom management tips? I'm thinking of having
students softly call out their names when they have a question,
walking around the room to monitor, labeling everything in braille
including students folders, any more ideas?
Thanks for any advice at all that anyone can give!
Jenna
--
Jenna and Guide "Sargent" Bilko