[nobe-l] Assistance Needed with Math Software

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Thu Aug 2 02:15:46 UTC 2012

Dear fellow NFB members and Associate members:

My name is Chun Chao (I go by Alan) and I am helping a good friend
and member of ours in Northern Nevada with an issue regarding the
mathematic program that is being used by the community college for
student placement in particular levels of academic curriculum.

The community college uses a math program called ALEX as its entrance
exam for student placement in college curriculum as well as for many
other uses by the math department.

However, it is completely inaccessible to blind and visually impaired
students as well as blind and visually impaired staff using screen
reading technology.

The community college states that the reason why they use ALEX is
because of its accuracy in detecting the level of math in which
students perform.

Now, the community college has very much become a role model in
presenting itself as a highly accessible campus for the Northern
Nevada region in that all student workstations (whether it be in a
classroom laboratory or in a library research center) have access via
campus network to JAWS, Magic, and Open Book as well as a variety of
additional resources such as NVDA and Premiere scan & read.

There were potholes in getting the community college to become
accessible along the way but the effort to make the campus accessible
has presented itself to be successful.

Nevertheless, the main roadblock that is being focused on now is
finding an accessible alternative to a mathematic program such as
ALEX while at the same time being able to keep the same level of
reliability that ALEX offered.

In addition to what the community college is doing on its own part in
making the campus to become as fully accessible as possible, I am
reaching out to the NFB community and associated community for aid
and support in finding a possible resolution to this issue.

Any suggestion or lead as to a possible resolution for implementing a
college mathematic program that is accessible to all students and
staff members will be appreciated as well as explored.

The best way to get a hold of me is via email at
<mailto:zerone1683 at gmail.com>zerone1683 at gmail.com.

Sincerely,

C.C. Alan

Northern Nevada NFB