[nobe-l] Biology, Chemistry-The Sciences for the Blind

Dr. Denise M Robinson deniserob at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 18:18:00 UTC 2012

Starting in the education field of the blind over 20 years ago, I depended
on wikki sticks, beans, marshmallows, and any other type of object to put
together to represent a cell or chemical bond for a blind student to touch
and try and understand what was going on in the microscope that the sighted
student stared into and went "Ah ha".

How do we give our blind students that "AH HA" moment? We can now.

A Japanese plastics company has created all types of plastic shapes, so all
the student has to do is put them together to make the model that is
requested by the teacher, to understand what is going on. Or if they are
really young, a para educator or teacher can do the same for them, hand it
to the child and explain all the parts as the child feels the model. Just
so many more options now.

*HGS HINOMOTO PLASTICS CO., LTD.<http://www.hgs-model.com/manual/index.html>
* has all types of models and shapes to aide in the creation and design of
simple to very extensive models for blind children to see. Actually,
sighted children find these models very helpful also. What helps one child,
always seems to help the other too.

--
 Denise

Denise M. Robinson, TVI, Ph.D.
CEO, TechVision, LLC
Virtual Instructor for blind/low vision
509-674-1853

Website with hundreds of informational articles & lessons all done with
keystrokes: www.yourtechvision.com

doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are incredibly
slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond
imagination.
--Albert Einstein

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
--Walt Disney