[nobe-l] OT: Braille embossers

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Tue Mar 20 05:37:32 UTC 2012

Hello Kathy,

Great news about your embosser. You'll wonder how you lived without it once
you get it.

A major factor to consider is whether or not you are prepared to sit around
for ages ripping pages apart, and ripping off the tractor feed lines from
the edges of pages once each document is embossed. Obviously, this horrible
means of stabilising printer paper went out with the dot matrix printers,
years ago. And, the office workers of the world rejoiced. However, it's
still very much alive and well in the blindness field, thanks to the design
of most braille embossers.

If, like me, you have better things to do with your time than wrestle with
an antiquated form of printer paper, then your choices of embossers are very
limited. Fortunately, I have found the Everest to be a great embosser.
Because it was ground breaking technology when it first came out in the late
nineties, it had some problems in the first model. However, these issues are
long ago resolved though the reputation took a while to recover. So, ignore
anyone who tells you that the Everest embosser has problems due to design.
It absolutely doesn't. It's also quiet when in it's cabinet. It's
double-sided and easily adjusts to different paper sizes. It takes regular
braille paper and is a single sheet feed embosser. I'm not sure if the Index
embosser that Denise mentioned has single sheet feed. It's certainly made by
the same company. Perhaps you might start by visiting the Index embossers
website and reading up on the various models.

Another advantage of the embossers which don't use tractor feed paper is
that they will also braille/emboss paper which you can buy inexpensively
from your local office supplies store like Office Depot or Staples. This
results in a really big saving in paper costs.

So, after that long preamble, I'd encourage you to look into a single sheet
feed embosser. As a side note, I agree with Mike that the Juliet is a
fabulous, simple to use, heavy duty embosser and the price is very
competitive as well. I had one but the tractor feed drove me absolutely
crazy so our time together was short and tumultuous and not very sweet.

Enjoy the search and please let us know what you finally choose and why.

Warmest regards,
Heather