[nobe-l] observing behaviors

Elizabeth Anderson e.f.cooks at aggiemail.usu.edu
Fri Nov 16 23:09:38 UTC 2012

The numbe  is 410-659-9314.

-----Original Message-----
From: nobe-l [mailto:nobe-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Anita Adkins
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:52 AM
To: National Organization of Blind Educators Mailing List
Subject: Re: [nobe-l] observing behaviors

Hello again,
While I am not working in a regular public school, I did work with public
kids during my internship. What I did for putting things up on the board,
such as the Geometry figures, was to prepare beforehand using a reader I
hired for during the evening to create exact diagrams, labels for them, etc.

I made ones I cut out so I could elaminate them and use over and over again.

I even created labels for them, which can be in Braille also. I learned how
to write print from my friends when I was a kid and from my cousin, even
though I cannot see it and never used it as a kid for schoolwork. So I can
write numbers and capital letters if only a couple are required, but rather
than doing that, I would prepare it before hand, know what was what by
labeling, and then to use a camera projector in the classroom. I am not
certain of its real name, but it has a way of projecting what you place
under it onto the board. The school will probably already have one since
sighted teachers also use them. So I could feel my cut out line, for
instance, and know I was placing it under the camera's eye. Also, I can use
this sort of camera to connect my laptop to it so that whatever shows up on
my laptop's screen also shows up on a whiteboard or a plain white wall. So I
could write information on the fly if I chose in this way for the students
to see. Also, I was able to find a video for my Science lesson about the
seasons to project on the wall using this same technique of projecting the
picture onto a plain, white wall. The school may provide you with a sighted
assistant for your planning period, but you may also want one you hire
outside of school for nonconfidential work, such as material preparation and
personal needs. I am about to be hired at a school for the blind, and they
are going to provide me with an aid for sighted assistance for a 45 minute
block of time each day. My goal isn't to teach subject-area content, but
rather to teach more blindness skills, which is why I am not working at a
public school. But, do not be discouraged because blind teachers can
effectively teach in a public school setting as I did this during my
assistantship, and I've heard about others who have been successful. Don't
forget you can call the NFB's national office for assistance. There web
address is www.nfb.org. Sorry I don't remember their number off the top of
my head. Don't worry; lots of prep work will make the actual teaching in the
classroom more simple for you. Have a great day. Anita