[nobe-l] observing behaviors

Anita Adkins aadkins at atlanticbb.net
Fri Oct 26 23:07:30 UTC 2012

Hello,

First, hello to everyone. I am Anita, and I left the list for a while
because of email address changes and such, but I am happy to be back.

To answer your concerns about behavior, stay on your feet and walk around
the room. If you hear a student or two talking, simply walk close to them,
and they will likely calm down. Experience will really help since the more
you do it, the better you will become. But, you will get to know your
students, and thus, you will know which students are more likely to act up.
Develop a relationship with your students. I don't mean to become friends
like their classmates, but show interest in what they do outside of school
and talk to them about it when the time is appropriate. Also, the other
students can be a wealth of information for you. Using environmental clues,
like sound, knowledge of what you are teaching and classroom layout as well
as student seating, and so forth will help you accomplish your goal. It
really isn't as difficult as it sounds. Start by coming up with procedures
and having the children practice them over and over. Use positivity when you
can. For example, praise students who are doing well. Ignore misbehavior
when you can. For example, say "Sally and Judy, I love how you are focused
on your work." when you know the third student is not focused as he should
be. I can understand you want a concrete answer here because I did, but
there is not one. Know your students and your environment, be flexible, and
use your remaining senses and knowledge of the situation to help you out.
And, remember that classroom management techniques used by the sighted will
also be helpful for a blind teacher. For example, set up a positive reward
system, keep students busy, make sure they know what to do if they finish an
assignment early and where to put materials for you and where to find their
next task to begin, even when you are busy, etc. Again, it isn't as hard as
it sounds. Go for it! Anita