[nobe-l] lesson plans

Anita Adkins aadkins at atlanticbb.net
Sun Feb 24 21:45:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

I teach blind students. I would have to google for a lesson plan, and so
that is why I'm not sharing one since you've probably already tried that.
But I thought I'd share my thoughts. First, know the student. An interest
inventory can assist with this. Motivation is key in reading, especially if
you are dealing with a reluctant reader. And to motivate a student, you need
to teach by letting the child read something interesting to him/her. What is
the student's favorite subject? Or, what is their favorite sport, for
example. Next, as far as my actual plan, I will take a week or at least
three days to teach fluency, depending on the student and the topic. On Day
one, I tell the student the week's plan. I explain what they will learn and
how it will help them to be successful in reaching their goal and/or in
achieving their desired activity. By desired activity, I am talking about
the key motivating activity. For example, if they are into Science, I will
plan a small Science experiment for them to do on the last day of this group
of lessons. If they are into sports, I might let them shoot so many hoops
into a basket, etc. So I build around this motivatory activity. So I find
something they will read to build fluency, and I pick out several words,
some sight words and some words that are specific to the activity. I explain
reading these words will enable them to succeed at reading the longer
passage. On the first day, they will read the words, sounding them out if
possible in list form. Then, they will reread the words, this time with the
word to the left and then in a sentence. I space a couple of times before
the sentence. Then, I create a worksheet and ask them to search for the word
and to scratch down the first letter so I know they've identified it. For
example, I might have the first word on a line to be the word goal. Then, I
would have the word goal 2 or 3 more times on the line all mixed in with
other words, using an 11.5 by 11 sheet of paper so I have the room. On the
next line is another word that will be on the piece they are to read on the
last day of the lesson. So that is how I do it. When the student comes in on
day one, I might have something at their desk to grab their attention or
maybe a song playing or whatever. Day 2, I add in technology. If they have
the skill, I take them to the computer lab and have them to type the list of
words, mainly because this teaches them to look at the list for correct
spelling. Then, since I am having them do this in Duxbury and since I am a
Braille teacher, I am also including formatting and embossing in the
activity. Before going to the lab, they reread the list of words, of course.
You might also allow them to record themselves reading using a Victor Stream
if they do not have computer skills or have them to write the words in list
form on the Perkins Brailler or on a Braille notetaker. On day 3, the main
focus might be to do a game that focuses on the key vocab words they have so
far been doing, but to also introduce them to other words that will be in
the text in a subtle way, such as in a game or on a matching worksheet, etc.
Also, since I am doing these activities in four days a good bit, I might
also ask them to do a prereading of the document. On the last day, I will
have them to read the document once, encouraging them to sound out tricky
words. Then, I will ask them to reread the document. During the third
reading, I will time them as they read the document. And, don't forget to
include the activity after they have read the document, whether it is an
experiment, a game, etc. Also, I record the student so they can hear how
they sound and improve tone, etc. Also, I might use an Anywhere Anybook
reader so I can ask them on the day before the final day to read along with
my voice as they read the text for the first time. They can relisten to the
passage if necessary. Note you will want to probably do a running record or
other test to determine their frustrational, independent, and instructional
reading levels. And, I come up with activities a lot of times depending on
the students' needs and on my imagination at the moment, and so I apologize
if this is a little vague. Good Luck! Hope this is useful. Anita