[nobe-l] Tutoring was Re: Teaching College Spanish

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 15 17:48:23 UTC 2013

Hi Robert,
How is the tutoring coming? I also thought about tutoring english because
its something I know well and am good at, but I'm not sure how I'd handle
reading papers and seeing punctuation.
As a tutor, you have to see the student's work and assignments to help them.
Since you are blind, read it with them on a notetaker or get them to read it
to you.
Verbal communication is important. Its obvious, but remind them you cannot
see body language like confused looks, so they need to voice any questions
or concerns.

I'd suggest that if you can get their material they need help with like a
vocab  list or worksheet electronically, this would be helpful. View that
ahead of time so you are prepared to explain concepts. Also, if you have a
braille notetaker, I'd imagine this would be really helpful in reviewing
material especially since it’s a foreign language.
Also, make note of what you covered after the session and any challenges the
student still has so you can come back to that next time.
With multiple students, you'll probably forget what you did with each one,
so notetaking should help.
Also, you are tutoring sighted students, so suggest study tips that may not
work for you but may work for them. Many students are visual learners.
This may be hard to model since you cannot draw and create them but maybe
you can show a website
with examples. I took spanish in high school.

Here are some study tools people used or that were used to learn english
vocab but you can use them for foreign languages too.
1. Flashcards with pictures; for instance a picture of the word and the
spanish word on back.
2. looking at pictures with parts labeled in the foreign language. For
instance, a picture of a beach.
3. concept maps; these are those diagrams with boxes and circles where you
draw lines to connect similar concepts
4. word maps or mind maps; mean the same thing
5. Creating charts of words with similar meanings
6. using colors to teach grammar; for instance putting nouns in one color
and verbs in another.
7. other word charts

Also suggest other study tips to students which don't rely on visuals; for
instance, my teacher recommended we study out loud and say words; also you
can pick a verb and practice congegating it out loud.

At my school, tutors kept track of hours on paper. I would think a better
way for you would be to keep an electronic time sheet of your hours.

Good luck.
Ashley