[nobe-l] Accessibility of Synergy and Edmodo

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 13:47:32 UTC 2014

Hello all,
I am new to the list. I wanted to drop a note to introduce myself and
ask a couple of questions. My name is Greg Aikens and I am a blind
teacher of students who are blind and visually impaired in the metro
Atlanta area. This is my third year teaching and I am in a middle
school resource room this year.

As a TVI, in the past I have not had to assign grades, take attendance
etc. I am actually teaching a class this year though and have to
figure out how to use the gradebook software we are using. Has anyone
on this list used JAWS with Synergy CIS for taking attendance or
managing grades? If so, are there particular browsers/settings that
make the experience more accessible? On first glance I am having a
hard time making the application do anything but I'm not sure if that
is an access issue or because I'm just not sure what I'm doing yet.

I have the same questions about the Edmodo teacher/student blog
platform. I was able to create an account but the interface seems very
Java script heavy and does not behave as expected when I click on
different items. Is anyone else using this platform with a screen
reader?

Thanks for any advice or assistance. I look forward to being part of this list.

Thanks,

Greg Aikens