[nobe-l] Advice on substitute teaching

lynnmlesko lynnmlesko at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:02:56 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and have never posted before and not sure if it is open to everyone.
As an Nfb member, I found this group on the national website.  My educational and work backgrounds are in business and I do hold a MBA , but wish to become involved in working with children.
Our local school district is using an educational recruiter to hire all teachers, substitute teachers and clerical workers.
I applied to work with them  -since there were openings for substitute teachers.  I have done a small amount of volunteering with the TVI in the area and I'm going to take my national braille certification test in May and very much would like to work with children.

There are very few educational requirements to be a substitute teacher in this area, they would like you to have an undergraduate degree but it is not necessary.

I have been called for training tomorrow but the training is not based on what to do in the classroom - it is I believe more for the HR requirements, such as filling out the I-9 and doing the harassment training.

I know very little about the national organization of blind educators or how many members belong. Would anyone be willing to lend their opinions or advice as to going in as a substitute with no educational classroom training?
Thanks very much
Lynn Lesko
Hampton , Virginia

Sent from my iPad