[nobe-l] Accessibility questions for teaching math to thesighted

Danielle Ledet singingmywayin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 00:42:27 UTC 2015

Hi David, Tom's name is pronounced "lie". I should've specified that
last night. Hear is something that may or may not help you in what
you're doing. It is geared toward students but by you being the
visually impaired one...flip the scrip. It was found on the Project
ray blog.

"Scientific Calculator – Sight Enhancement Systems has developed a
number of scientific calculators to assist visually impaired students
with their advanced math classes. One added function is voice back,
currently available in both English and Spanish. Working almost
identically to your typical scientific calculator, educators will have
no trouble in assisting a visually impaired student learn its
functions.
SceneEye 500 – Also from Sight Enhancement Systems, the SceneEye 500
is a camera that easily connects to a laptop or tablet. By magnifying
the image seen by up to 50X, a visually impaired student can use the
device to easily see the blackboard or any classroom presentation.
Contrast is also adjustable to make the image even easier to read.
Visually impaired students can record the images for later viewing,
giving them a permanent study aid in what is being taught in class.
This assistive device only works with Windows 7 or Windows 8, but has
an intuitive interface when used with a touch screen device.
Braille Compass – Using a Braille imposed tracing wheel, this compass
from Howe Press enables blind students to complete math tasks with no
assistance. The point end works the same as on regular compasses, but
the student is able to read the tracing wheel with their finger and
make the proper adjustments.
Video Magnifier – With its large 7’’ display, the Olympia video
magnifier enables visually impaired students to follow along in their
textbooks and read and complete worksheets. The device features a
range of magnification settings as well as a tilt screen for optimal
viewing. Battery operated and portable, the Olympia can be used in the
classroom or at home and has no limitations in the type of text it is
able to view."