[nobe-l] question about teaching writing

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Mon Jun 29 02:51:03 UTC 2015

Hello Irina,
I think the easiest way to learn to write a signature is to find a person
whom you believe would be willing to assist and get them to work with you on
developing a signature.
Since most signatures are written in cursive writing, which is different
from print in many important characteristics, it is useful to have the
assistant produce a tactile sample signature so that you have an idea of
what you're going to be creating. If you don't have a device, such as a
raised line drawing kit, you can go the old-fashioned rout of having them
write it backwards on a thick piece of paper placed on a piece of thick
cloth, such as a towel.
The letters should be about 2 inches high so that it is easy to see their
shapes and also how and where they join to each other.
To make lined paper I just fold creases about an inch apart down the page;
the raised creases make a top and bottom line. Learning to write a signature
is mostly about memorising the movements one makes with one's writing hand.
However, I also use the thumb and pointer finger of my left hand to keep the
height of the letters consistent. You will need to do lots of practising
until it becomes learnt by your muscles as well as by your mind. A few
sessions with the helpful sighted assistant should serve to give you enough
of an idea. As has been noted on this topic already, many signatures are not
particularly legible but they are written the same way every time by their
owners. So, consistency is an important part of your goal.
My sister taught me to write my signature and it didn't really take more
than about an hour, spread over a few days while I practised. Gradually over
time, I made it smaller and perfected the methods I use. When I am asked to
sign my name I have someone make a crease on the line provided for the
signature, folding the paper under in order to create a raised line. If it
is someone who knows me well they will also fold me a top line. However, by
keeping my signature fairly small I don't usually need the top line to
ensure that my signature isn't too high.
I encourage you to pursue this goal. There are many situations where it is
important for one to be able to sign a creditable signature and it is not a
difficult skill to master. One just needs to enlist the assistance of the
right person.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Warmly,
Heather Field