[nobe-l] Question for TVIS and educators who are visually impaired or blind related to observation and assessment strategies

Jonathan Lima limamjon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 15:51:16 UTC 2015

I am a graduate student in the college of education at Florida State
University studying to become an O&M Instructor. I am working on a
potential article related to technology that

could be useful for teachers who are blind or visually impaired in the
field of education, especially those who are TVIs/O&M. I am wanting to know
what technology, tools, and strategies do you currently use to observe
children in assessment situations that typically rely on an observer’s
sight such as conducting a functional vision assessment or learning media
assessment. What challenges exist for you in this aspect (if they exist),
and what strategies, tools, and/or technology do you think would be
beneficial to you that you currently do not have access to?

For more of a background, we have a student in our program who is
adventitiously blind. I have worked alongside a supervising professor in
writing a tech grant that has provided us with various technology that has
allowed this student and colleague to conduct her practicum observations
for class, and it has been especially helpful to her when conducting
essential assessments such as the  FVE, ECC, LMA, and Communication Matrix.
We have set up a camera that can be mounted or attached to her person while
working with a student with a visual impairment and multiple disabilities
who is nonverbal. We have bug-in-ear technology that then allows an
assistant to observe and hear the classroom environment from a distant
location and speak to my colleague pre-service teacher about the behaviors
and situations that she is unable to see for herself. This allows her to
work closely with her student. In addition, it has allowed for a less
intrusive classroom environment for those students who might be easily
distracted by an additional observer especially if other classroom
activities are going on in the background.

I really look forward to hearing input by trained professionals who have
had to overcome these obstacles in the field.

Thank you!

Jonathan M. Lima