[nobe-l] cell phones in the classroom

Fred fredhardyway at live.com
Sat Oct 17 16:50:18 UTC 2015

Hi all,
I am in my 3rd year as a TA at a University and at first this was an issue for me.  However, I have found that those students who text or in some cases watch movies with earbuds during class do not score well.  While this may seem cynical as an approach, I have adopted the hands off approach.  If they want to learn, they will turn off the technology, or use it responsibly, to learn.
Additionally, other students sitting next to the offending student, if they know they can come to me confidentially and report on technology abuses, do so.  This way I get the name of the student misusing their technology, and either speak with them after the next class period, or email them informing them that I have been made aware of their misuse of technology and they have lost their daily participation points.
Ultimately, there does not seem to be a fool-proof way of monitoring such activity, and at some point you have to decide is it worth stressing yourself in trying to police students!
Fred