[nobe-l] [noble-l] cell phones in the classroom

Szostak, Christine szostak.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Thu Oct 22 22:39:25 UTC 2015

Hi All,
  Since I think I am the one who made the comment being referred to, I figured I would chime in here to explain the comment.

 I agree with the below thoughts. I think that at the K12 level, this is critical, but at the college level (where I teach), these are now adults and they need to begin to learn to make the proper decision for themselves at this level. Thus, I think that at higher levels, they need to begin to learn to make their own decisions and then accept the consequences. If they can not learn to do so, they will not make it in society once they have their college degrees.

  As an interesting aside, I was chatting with one of the students in our Secondary Ed dept the other day and  since I had majored in Ed and Psych when I was in college, he and I were comparing some of our experiences in the K12 setting. He told me that the teacher whom he is currently being supervised by (the teacher and this student are both fully sighted) has students in her classes that use their cells all the time, even though their school has a relatively strict policy. He said that in today's society what he is seeing with these students is that given  the immense amount of multitasking they are doing throughout most of their day in general (whether it be via cells or in other ways), are starting to be more proficient (at least at the secondary level) at successfully performing in school while also using cells. This may just be this particular group of students that he is seeing (he is with this teacher most of the day) but I tend to  wonder  if, given the massive amounts of multimedia that is being presented to children today, if this is truly making them more capable of being much more skilled multi-taskers. I know that for some children this  is not a good thing (e.g., there are individuals who, no matter how hard they try, they will just never be successful multi-taskers). Sadly, and unfortunately, because of  visual impairment,  we are often more harshly judged in situations such as cell phone use in class than are our sighted colleagues (e.g., (the teacher can not control their use because she/he can not see what is happening vs.  the students in that sighted teacher's class are doing fine since they can multi-task).
Have a wonderful weekend all!
Chris

Dr. Christine M. Szostak
Assistant Professor of Psychology