[nobe-l] Obtaining curriculum for access with braille display

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Thu Feb 4 00:28:18 UTC 2016

Hello Lara,
You will be personally responsible for getting the textbooks into an
accessible format. Unfortunately, there is no law which requires publishers
to make them available in an accessible format. I have never found
publishers willing to commit any personnel time and money towards providing
their books in accessible format for me.

What I have done in the past is this.
I have told the publishers that I am willing to buy the print book if they
agree to provide me with .pdf copies free of charge. If the books are
available in downloadable format, then I have simply purchased them. I have
then paid someone to convert the books to .txt and to proof them. All sorts
of formatting is lost during the conversion process. It can be a slow
process, requiring the person converting and proofing to do one page at a
time. However, it can be done. And, once done, you have the books. You do
not have to obtain anyone's permission to do this since it is law that the
blind can transcribe materials into alternative formats for their exclusive
use.
You may want to find out if the books are available in epub format since I
believe there are now some conversion programmes, such a qread, which can
convert epub into other formats. I'm not positive on that one, though.
I hope this is helpful for you.
Let us know how you get on.
Warmly,
Heather