[nobe-l] special education major

Ana Martinez martinezana770 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 21:06:08 UTC 2016

Greedings, my name is Ana and I am a blind highschool student. When I
grow up I would like to be an orientation and mobility instructor, I
would like to be able to teach all types of blind people. I wanna
teach people who are just blind and people who are blind but who also
have additional disabilities. I thought it would be benefitial for my
career to major in special education so that I can learn how to teach
people with all types of disabilities and then do a masters in ONM,
for the last couple of months I've been looking for colleges and I
realized that there are many majors in special education like special
education miled disabilities, special education miled to moderate
disabilities, ETC. I have a question: I am not sure which special
education major  will best meet my career goals, is it possible to
teach orientation and mobility to people with severe disabilities? up
to which degree of disability is it safe to teach ONM? for example if
I teach mobility to someone who is in a wheelchair to cross a busy
intersection, tecnically that person could do that but could that
person be fast enough to cross the street without being hit? I don't
want to specialized on teaching blind people with multiple
disabilities but if one day I have to teach someone who has multiple
disabilities I wanna be able to do it.  I hope I explained myself,
sorry for my english. thanks