[nobe-l] teach without an aide

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 13 15:05:27 UTC 2016

Kayla,

I'd agree with Heather; it really depends on the situation and tasks you are
responsible for.
I'm not a teacher though but have contemplated it. I'd either teach young
children like first or second grade or I'd teach learning disabled or blind
children. I've not decided, but those are the areas of interest to me.

Yes, it is possible to teach without an aide.
However, there is paperwork tasks involved, so every blind teacher I've
known, even those teaching other blind/vision impaired students, have had
sighted assistants help them. You can think of them as readers or
assistants, but they do have some help. I do not call them aides in this
instance because they are not directly assisting in the teaching. An aide
would assist you while you are actually teaching.
So, what I'm saying is that yes you will need a sighted assistant, but not
necessarily an aide.
Special ed forms including IEPS are not yet fully accessible, so a reader is
needed for this task.

In education, you have paperwork involved and grading which may require a
reader's help.
But whether you need an aide while teaching depends on what area you teach
and what age of kids, and your own skills as a teacher.

Unless you teach kindergarten, preschool or special education, I do not
believe an aide is necessary all the time.
But certain situations warrant an aide.
Note, even sighted teachers have aides for those grades. My mom teaches
preschool and they always have aides there or a co-teacher.
It is just safer to have two people supervising such young children.
Besides, sometimes one kid has to go to the bathroom, so one adult takes
them while the other adult supervises the rest of the class.

I also believe that certain tasks are visual in nature despite whatever
alternative techniques we have used.
For these tasks, I believe an aide would be an appropriate accomodation.
However, I'm not so sure a school would hire a full time aide for you, so in
my opinion, you might want to choose when and where you really need an aide.
Heather gave some good examples. In the early grades, several tasks come to
mind where an aide is very helpful. When the children learn handwriting, do
coloring assignments, or go to the playground are activities I would want an
aide. I have some vision and know print and braille, but its just not
possible to read handwriting efficiently and see if they are writing
correctly.
Walking around the playground is a way to watch out for the kids, but this
way you can only supervise a few children at a time. So, a sighted person
would be  needed to see the whole area.
In the later grades, a blind teacher might want an aide to supervise a
science experiment, monitor a test for cheating, or see the alignment of
students in a music class.

So, whether you have an aide is an individual decision based on many
factors.

Ashley