[nobe-l] public vs. private schools

vparadiso92 at gmail.com vparadiso92 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 02:13:41 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

Questions do not bother me in the very least. I understand how you feel Kayla. I think part of moving forward for everybody, as this is something I struggle with sometimes is getting  over the fact that things are not always fair. Nonetheless, there is a perfect career for everyone. It's just dependent  on whatever our interests and our biggest strengths are.

In response to your question Ashley, yes. I work for a public school. And yes, I teach science. Something that has helped me a lot is to use verbal strategies in my classroom. I often have students describe the visual elements such as diagrams, graphs or charts that I provide to them in order to teach them the material. Although I am blind, I do not shy away from visual material as these are  excellent tools for children. They help to keep them engaged. I always know exactly what I'm showing students. I was cited until I was a teenager when I lost my vision to cancer. So I remember what a lot of these items look like. But even if I didn't, I would make sure I knew exactly what Visual elements were on the power points I create prior to teaching anything.

In my labs, I have been forced to be extremely organized. I do have a lab assistant who primarily helps me set up materials and monitor things that I can't control. Such as students throwing things at each other ha ha Ha but I've never had a situation where this hasn't worked. It helps to go over material in advance. Also, I talk out every single step with my students as children are horrible at following directions. Also, I have found through informal assessing when I walk around the room that engaging students in conversations and having them read and describe what they are doing to me helps quite a bit. Not only does it reinforce what their learning but it helps me to correct any errors. There is always a way. And I am glad that we are having this conversation because I am a new teacher. I am only 24 years old and I haven't been doing this that long. And it wasn't that long ago where I struggled with the same feelings you are wrestling with Kayla. You'll get through it I promise.

Warmly,

--
Valeria