[nobe-l] Interview Lessons

vparadiso92 at gmail.com vparadiso92 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 13:17:20 UTC 2017

Hi Tara,

Congratulations! Being invited back for a second round is already a great sign. And just so you know, I dealt with the same issues when I interviewed for  positions.
I agree with Kathy. I would operate under the assumption that only the bare minimum assistance/materials are available. Often times, administrators want to see that you can handle these things on your own. When you sit down for the actual discussion/debriefing part of your interview, you can bring these sorts of things up. You can say things like, if it were my classroom I would've used this and this in order to do this. But using handouts and manipulative show that you could still teach even without supplemental materials or technology. Sometimes these things crash. So this shows that you would be fine no matter what. And it also doesn't force you to rely on anybody  during the interview stage. That being said though, I would make your handouts or your lesson as visually appealing as possible.
For example, when I did a demo math lesson without using technology, I had one of the students come up and balance out equations on the board with my assistance. I also created handouts to go with the activity with visual representations of what I needed the kids to do. I was very clear later that I would sit down and read these with somebody or use OCR software. But it showed the  administrators that I could do this sort of thing even if nothing more were available. And as far as the layout of the room goes, that shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Just walk around a few minutes before if you can and take a look at how many tables there are in the room. And group students together in a way that is manageable. In two or three groups. During this stage of interviewing, I have never talk to a group larger than about 10 or 12 students. So it wasn't too bad.
One more thing, if you are really concerned about the technology part of the interview, you may even be invited back for another lesson. This happened to me a couple of times just to show the administrators what you can do once they already know that you are blind. If they like you, they like you. It's all about how you sell yourself.

Hope this helps,

--
Valeria