[nobe-l] Physical aggression

taranabella0 at gmail.com taranabella0 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 23:10:02 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I have a student in my class this year who has a sensory processing disorder. Lately, he has been physically aggressive i.e. kicking, hitting, tripping, pushing, and spitting towards students and staff. The paraprofessional in my room typically takes over when he becomes physically aggressive, but I feel it is unfair for her or other staff to always intervene. Because I have no usable vision, it is more difficult for me to grab an arm or step out of the way of an attack before putting him into the proper hold. I'd like to do more to help in these situations, but this student is large for a 10-year-old and has left bruises, scratches, etc and I worry about worsening the situation. Has anyone had a student like this, and what did you typically do in these situations?

Thanks,

Tara Abella