[nobe-l] Writing on the board

vparadiso92 at gmail.com vparadiso92 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 15:24:03 UTC 2017

Hi Tara,

Glad to hear that student teaching is going well. Here's my advice about writing on the board, particularly for math instruction.

This may seem stupid, but it is important to always understand  visual elements to some extent when teaching. For instance, what symbols look like prior to utilizing them. Especially for younger children,  you want to make sure you are able to explain things to students should the occasion ever arise. Because children are still learning at these early stages, and they may become confused as to which symbols are which. Four instance, you are going to know which symbol points in which direction, has a line going through the center, etc. because you will learn to recognize these things once the children or others tell you. This will help you later on in the classroom as well.

That being said, I encourage you to use wiki sticks on the board when you are first creating symbols. Another option is to appoint an assistant to write exactly what you tell them on the board. And eventually, once students learn what the symbols are, you can start having a classroom writer or writers come up and participate actively by writing on the board. I do this with my high school students all the time, since I teach primarily math and science. It is important to get the routines down as soon and as consistently as possible. There is nothing wrong with getting assistance for these things to some extent. It's all about the way in which you do it.

Hope this helps,

--
Valeria