[nobe-l] Worldwide competition

adrijana prokopenko adrijana.prokopenko at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 14:51:36 UTC 2017

 Think this will really help some people.

   Worldwide competition
   Announcing the Holman Prize for Blind Ambition
    Announcing the Holman Prize for Blind Ambition (
   If you are one of the millions worldwide who qualify as blind, it's
  time to start imagining.
    San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is
  proud to announce The Holman Prize for Blind Ambition – an annual set
  of awards that finance and support blind adventurers worldwide in
  pursuing their most ambitious projects.
    Submissions are now open at
www.HolmanPrize.org. We're asking applicants to complete a simple
  task: create a 90-second YouTube video pitching an idea for a project.
  In the spirit of James Holman – who became the first blind person to
  circumnavigate the globe in 1832 – we encourage our applicants to
  think across conventional borders and boundary lines.
    Here are the rules for Phase 1:
    1. Tell us about who you are, your journey with blindness and what
  you would do with a $25k prize. You don't need to have it all figured
  out yet, we just want to see that you're passionate and ambitious.
  Where would you travel? What would you work on? How long might it
  take?
    2. Tag the YouTube video #HolmanPrize and be sure to submit the link
  through our official form at HolmanPrize.org.
    3. Videos exceeding 90 seconds will be disqualified. If you have
  questions, visit our FAQ page.
    Due to the global nature of the prize, the LightHouse will vet
  applications using a definition of blindness based on ophthalmological
  consultation and international standards for legal blindness.
  Finalists will go through an in-depth application process that will
  require proof of blindness.
    Here are a few tips for working on your video:
- Practice your pitch before recording. Make sure it's smooth and confident.
- Show off your personality. Convince us that you're the perfect
  ambassador for blind people worldwide.
- VoiceOver and screen reader users: Please plug in headphones or
  turn speech volume off while recording.
- Try to record videos in landscape view (sideways) rather than
 portrait view.
- Face toward windows and light sources instead of away from them
  (show your face!).
   Submissions will close on February 28 at 12 noon PST. Semifinalists
  will be notified in March 2017.
   We'd like you to start the conversation by visiting the website,
  following us on social media and using the hashtag #HolmanPrize. Start
  brainstorming, tell your friends and begin to imagine the adventure
  you might go on. Check out all the Holman prize pitches on YouTube and
  be sure to hit "like." The video with the most likes will
  automatically become one of our finalists.
   This is your chance to go farther than the eye can see.
    The Holman Prize:Instagram + Twitter
    LightHouse for the Blind:Instagram + Twitter + Facebook
    Best wishes,
    The Holman Team
      To watch the youtube's link, click on:
  https://­www.youtube.com/­watch?v=RaBef3zywxI&l­ist=PLBgTkRMP5uaz784­GjDzUKRvog4TSpAwPA&i­ndex=1