[nobe-l] NOBE at National

Catherine Mendez caitryl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 19:50:12 UTC 2017

Greetings all,

I am excited to share with you the agenda for the 2017 seminar of the National Organization of Blind Educators, which Will Take Pl., July 12 in Orlando Florida as part of the National Convention of the NFB.  If you are planning to attend the convention, you may pre-register for our division seminar on the divisions website at www.blindeducators.org.  Remember, pre-registration allows you to skip the long line before the meeting, which gives you a longer and more relaxed lunch hour!  For those of you who would prefer to register in person, the registration table will open at 12:30, and will remain open until about quarter after one. The seminar itself begins at 1 PM and goes until 4.

in the spirit of agendas  everywhere, this one was amended right up until it went to be brailled, and as soon as I sent it off to the braillist I got an additional request to speak. As a result, one item that will not appear on the agenda is that Valerie Yingling from NFB's National Office will be presenting to us at approximately 1:20 regarding some legal action that  NFB is taking regarding some educational websites that may be of interest to our members.

In addition to our annual division seminar, I am pleased to announce that NOBE will also be participating in the NABS Olympics,  with a table called "are you smarter than an educator?"  This event has taken the place of NABS' Monte Carlo night.  Participants will buy in for five dollars worth of chips, which they can then use to enter contests and activities run by the various NFB divisions. All of the contests and activities are designed to be quick and fun, and to help participants win as many tickets as possible in exchange for their efforts. At the end of the evening, tickets will be turned in and counted, and the participants who have earned the most will win some cash prizes.

"Are you smarter than an educator?" Will feature two participants at a time competing against a blind educator, answering trivia questions which we're prepared by our board. The questions will pertain to middle and high school subject matter, across the disciplines, so as to appeal to as broad a spectrum of players as possible.

This event is going to be so much fun!   If you are an educator who plans to attend the convention and would like to come for part or all of the evening and be one of our participating educators, please go ahead and email me off list!

I am looking forward to convention, and to seeing as many as possible of you all in Orlando!

Sincerely,
Cayte Mendez
President, National Organization of Blind Educators, a division of the National Federation of the Blind