[nobe-l] supervising and involvement in outdoor activities

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 8 04:12:10 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Kids go outside for games and recess. This issue probably comes up for you preschool and elementary educators.
As an assistant at a summer camp, I will lead and supervise some games and activities outside; I will not be alone; other staff or volunteers will be around, but since its my idea, I will primarily be leading it.

How do you supervise kids on the playground? How do you know where everyone is? Do you perhaps just walk around and listen? Perhaps you enlist sighted assistance all the time?

How do you lead or participate in activities involving physical movement? I’m sure you can stand in front of them and explain directions and model the movements. But, how can you ensure all kids are following directions and participating? For instance, leading a game of red light, green light or simon says? What about games with balls, relay races, or even tag or freeze tag?

If you want to play with them, I know adaptations for games at a table such as card games or board games.
You can use braille and tactile markings on a board.
But, what about outside games? The only accommodation I can come up with is having a sighted guide. This guide would be another staff or volunteer member. If I was sure the area was flat, I also might be able to run around a little bit on my own. I have some central vision.

In the past in  after school and camp settings, I felt unused while outside. I sat on the sidelines just listening to what was happening and trying to enjoy the weather. If a kid got tired of playing or running around, they might come over to talk, but otherwise I was just left on the sidelines. Other staff or volunteers would be watching the kids or walking around the play area to ensure all kids were safely playing and had not gone missing.

Just wondered some ideas and if there is something I had not thought of.

Thanks.

Ashley