[nobe-l] supervising and involvement in outdoor activities

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 8 20:40:47 UTC 2017

Judy,

Thanks for writing with excellent ideas! I like the idea of someone
supervising and someone else participating.
I think wheel barrow races sound fun. I had not thought of that.

How would you know  which kid is out in a game like Simon Says? That usually
is done by someone seeing the activity. I suppose knowing who is doing what
is challenging. Last year, I was mostly on the sidelines in the shade.
However, I did hear some activities, particularly the kids on the slide.
However, it was impossible to tell who was where. While I knew there were
four kids over there for instance, I did not know whom they were. I could
have gone over to ask, but did not feel it necessary to interupt them.
Kids when they are young such as 7 or 8  don't have very distinguishable
voices.

I would still think if participating in a physical game such as baseball,
kick ball, or tag, I'd need a sighted guide. Not sure otherwise how to avoid
running into people.

Catherine asked if I contacted sports and rec, and no not about supervision.
However, I have talked about adaptations for participation in running and
ball games.
For running around, all of them run on treadmills or use a sighted guide.
For games, everyone has used audible balls it seems and have not played with
a group of kids.
Its much different playing with a friend or family member who knows you well
versus playing with ten kids.
There is a big difference because kids are learning how to play and take
turns. They look up to any adult staff or volunteer assistant for guidance
on behaviors and rules of the game.
I'm just trying to think of games and activities fun for me and for them
that will not be to visual. Any silent game such as sharades is not going to
work. Also any drawing game does not work for me either.
They seem open to ideas which is a good sign. So, if I suggest something,
its more than likely going to be approved.

If the camp has sidewalk chalk or lets me bring in some, I think that is a
good fun activity. I can hear the chalk and usually see it unless it is a
dark color on a blacktop.

Catherine, I like the idea of jump rope activities. That is easy to monitor
because of the noise of the rope and kids talking about it such as singing
jump rope songs. Jump rope also gives everyone plenty of exercise.

Take care,

Ashley