[nobe-l] Classroom management

Mikaela Stevens mikaelastevens at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 23:52:12 UTC 2017

Tara:

I will be teaching in a Montessori school.

This idea of intrinsic motivation is an interesting philosophical
discussion. Heather has done a great job introducing it. In America, we are
typically not used to teaching this way. However, children do better when
they believe they are doing well instead of being rewarded with praise,
compliments, or objects. This comes from within each child. It is more
difficult for teachers and parents, but creates amazing results of
self-confidence for children, which will serve them for their entire lives.
Removing phrases such as “good job” from our vocabulary may be one of the
most difficult things we do as teachers. It is well worth it though.

Here is an example: if a student has completed a project and shows it to a
teacher, the teacher might say something like, “oh, I see you researched
Spanish culture. What did you learn about the people?” After the student
responds, the teacher could follow-up with other questions about the
project, like “why did you decide to paste this picture here?” or “what did
you write about the way Spanish people dress?” From this conversation,
children feel from within themselves they did worthwhile work. Does this
principle make sense? It takes practice.

Some of the ideas you mentioned are great, if used regardless of behavior.
For example, the teacher could have lunch with children because she cares
about them, even when they act out. Unconditional love helps children
progress.

Do you have any more questions? If it is better, I would be happy to call
you sometimes. This is easier to explain in person.

Best regards,

Mikaela