[nobe-l] Visual observations? Help?/instructional method idea

vparadiso92 at gmail.com vparadiso92 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 01:23:55 UTC 2017

Hi Valerie,

I totally understand your concerns. I particularly hated student teaching because although we are encouraged to take ownership of students, the setting is completely irelivant at times. And the classroom is not our own. So what ends up happening many times is we do not necessarily incorporate techniques that we would use  in our own classrooms. So let me begin by saying that you have started developing useful strategies for observation of students.

I would be careful about the leader system. While it may work in some situations, this is going to sound awful but children do not always tell the truth. Plus, they may feel indebted to their peers. Or quite frankly, children are young and they may just tell you something that is not correct. And while it would make me sad that One of the students was crying. Unless it was an absolute emergency. Children often learn and should learn how to resolve this among themselves during a time that is appropriate. Once the situation gets inappropriate is usually when I step in with some conflict resolution strategies.

I think it is totally appropriate to be concerned with how everyone is feeling in the room. But children often cry or act out for attention. So if we stop every single time it sends out the wrong message. For instants, Lily, one of my students began sobbing during class yesterday simply because she was having a bad day. I asked her if she needed a break and gave her the classroom pass, allowing her to go to the bathroom  for a walk to collect herself. I talk to her after class and asked if there was anything I could do. But I encouraged the students to leave her alone. It's not always a good idea for children to be in each other's business all the time. That being said, I also encouraged her peers to talk to her after if they were concerned. But I totally understand what your supervisor meant about worrying about oneself. The classroom is the place were children often times learn things about basic rules of comportment.

Still, pier assessing is always useful. Children learn as things are pointed out to them. So it is a great idea to have the students push and encourage each other. Assigning them jobs is a good way to get this accomplished. It's also a great way to get them involved in the classroom, building community and helping the students to learn more about each other in order to make friends. Many teachers undermine this, but this is such a huge part of teaching. Children need to learn how to interact in perform in all kinds of situations. As you observe, I encourage you to pay attention to how students speak to one another.

As you walk around the room, engage the students in a conversation so they don't necessarily feel like you are checking on them. Ask them what questions they are working on. Have them read what they are writing. You will find that some students have written nothing at all. You can then help them comprise a response. As you do this, getting to know the students is going to help you notice other things about them. You will start to notice who sits with who and why. Think of it less as tattling, but many students will just volunteer information in order to be helpful. Ask students directly what they are doing. If they are doing something they are not supposed to be doing. Odds are somebody will tell you. Again though, I would just be careful about asking somebody about somebody else directly. They might feel in between. I experience this and it was very unpleasant. By all means, sometimes it needs to be done. It's all about how you do it.

I hope this helps,

--
Valeria