[nobe-l] Re preschool

Catherine Mendez caitryl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 00:18:50 UTC 2017

Hi Melissa,
I have worked with preschoolers, but I was puzzled by your question. Are you looking for a non-visual test for you, as the adult, or for a blind child? If it's just you the adult, you can use magnetic or foam letters, that you can feel while the child looks at them. The same is true for shapes. Many tactile shapes exist, you probably have some in the classroom setting where you are working. As for colors, just label the back with braille, and  have the color on the front side of a card or something, so that the child can't see the word, but you know what color the object is.

Cayte Mendez
President, National Organization of Blind Educators,
A division of the National Federation of the Blind