[nobe-l] Question about lesson planning and worksheets

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Mon May 15 04:56:42 UTC 2017

See answers below.

Judy

-----Original Message-----
From: NOBE-L [mailto:nobe-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jackie Larrauri
via NOBE-L
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2017 7:54 PM
To: National Organization of Blind Educators Mailing List
Cc: Jackie Larrauri
Subject: [nobe-l] Question about lesson planning and worksheets

Hi all,
I just had a few quick questions about lesson planning and worksheets.
1. How do you lesson plan? As in, do you use a specific template, software,
etc?

My classroom and other teaching started  before all the software and such,
but I had very workable lesson plans, and you don't need software or
programs.  This lesson planning strategy has been very useful in planning
workshops and speeches, because you basically are figuring out how much time
each one of your activities will spend, and prioritizing which to do first.

Say, you have a 45 minute teaching period.  Decide what you want to teach in
that time frame.  For younger kids you will need more activities because of
their attention span.  Estimate how long each activity will take.  Give a
couple of minutes from the start of class for everyone to get seated and
quiet, greetings, etc.  If you have a first bell, then a second bell 5
minutes after, plan to begin right at the second bell.  Give yourself a
couple minutes for handing out and turning in paperwork.  Give time for
explaining the work to be done, maybe a minute, maybe 3 or 4.  Then estimate
the time of the actual activity itself.  Give time for transitioning into
the next activity, maybe 1 or 2 minutes.

If you have more planned for the time in which you have to teach,
prioritize.

My lesson plan was simply a braille list comprised of the activity and
estimated time.  It is always better to overplan than underplan.  You want
to avoid dead classtime, like dead air on a radio station.  If applicable,
put the leftover activities into the next day's lesson plan.  Have a lesson
plan to keep yourself and everyone on track.  Do not go without one.  The
very few times I tried to go without, I floundered

2. Do you create your own worksheets? If so, how?

Yes.  Back then, on the typewriter.  Now, on the computer, and make sure it
covers the material you are going to test on and reflects the lessons.

3. If you use premade worksheets, are PDF's or doc files better?

That is going to depend on what is more accessible to you.  I like docs,
because most of the time PDf cannot be edited unless the creator has allowed
it.

4. How do you keep track of copies or work that needs to be graded?

I started out teaching 7 classes per day with 1 study hall for the eighth
period.  I kept each classes papers bundled together with these 2-inch giant
plastic paper clips that were large enough to braille the period number on.
However you do it, keep each class's paperwork in a separate bundle.  Gather
it, bundle it, and stash it at the end of that class.  You could also use
those accordion folders with a partition for each class.  Any way that
works.

5. How do you know which student gets what paper after grading?

You can either braille the student's name at the bottom, or if you have
older students, they like to hand out papers.

Best,
Jackie