[nobe-l] Starting out on a braille display

Jasmine Kotsay jasmine.kotsay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 03:54:08 UTC 2018

Hi, Alison!
	I would definitely suggest a BrailleNote Apex.  This gives
the student a way to read books and his own papers, and documents
that teachers produce can be downloaded via email, flash drive,
or on an Sd card.  It also allows him, if the need arises, to use
the GPS (provided that the school will buy that part for him.) It
also has dictionary capability, but the school must buy that
portion as well.  I have a BrailleNote BT 32, and I use it for
everything, from reading beffwriting and sending and receiving
email.
	Something I would also suggest is a braille display that
hooks up to an iPad, although while this is cheaper, it would
mean two pieces of technology.  Freedom Scientific has a Focus 14
braille display that I find is awesome! I have never had one, but
was able to have an experience with one.  There are other braille
displays that are very thin as well, but again, these would mean
having to have two pieces of technology to work with.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Jasmine