[nobe-l] Looking for Models of Mt. Everest

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Mon Feb 26 13:58:11 UTC 2018

Good morning Tina. I'd start with Ann Cunningham in Colorado, and with the TenBroek Library in Baltimore. For area maps, see what APH may have. This is just a start. There are probably many other sources out there that I don't know about. It sounds like a fun project, and there couldn't be a better person working on it.	My name is Tina Hansen, and I'm writing to this list for advice.

Although I'm not an educator by profession, I have a small team working with me on a project for this summer's BELL X Academy in Oregon.

My team and I want to create a model of Mount Everest to teach something about geography and topography. Since we want to integrate this with blindness skills, my team and I want to use Eric Weihenmeyer's story as a kind of backdrop for our lesson.

My team and I want to find creative ways to show them what Mount Everest looks like. We also want to find a map of the Himalays region so they can get a sense of where Mount Everest is.

My team and I would like to use 3-d models of Everest and the Himalays region, but we're also thinking of using 2-d map tools to highlight Eric's route. However, we also want the students to get a feel for what the mountain looks like. Face it, you could try to describe it, but, like the residents of Missouri, I think they need to be shown. I know I want to get a feeling of it for myself, which is partly why I've conceived this project.

We have tried to find a 3-d model of Everest that was already made, but most of the ones we've seen are too small. We want to notate certain features of the mountain and have the students really get their hands dirty. As a result, my team and I have decided to create a model. There is an art studio in my apartment building that may be able to offer my team space to work on the model.

We also want this model to be durable, since it's going to be transported to and from the BELL location, and the students will be touching it.

What kind of material is best for creating a model of Everest, and where can we get this material? What is the best width, depth and height for such a model so we can annotate key features, particularly as it relates to Eric's route? What is the best way to annotate features that is clear but leaves the model intact? How can we make this model visually attractive and tactually appealing?

My team is also looking for a 3-d map of the Himalayas region. This one may need to be already made, since we want to have the project finished by June 1. Does anyone know where we can find any map like this? What about 2-d maps or creating one ourselves?

Finally, we wish to give the students literature to read after the program is over. We also hope to ask them questions about it.

Does anyone on this list have any suggestions for improving this idea? Any advice you can give would be a great help to my team. Thanks.