[nobe-l] Anchor charts, graphic organizers and next steps

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 13 22:15:06 UTC 2018

Valerie,

While not an official educator, I do help kids academicaly either reading
with or to them or tutoring them in summers.
I've also wondered these things. You can creat some worksheets in Microsoft
Word with columns. I've created a KWL chart this way; that's a chart to see
what they know and have learned; kwl means what I know, want to know, and
what is learned.

You can also create some graphics in powerpoint. But, to create such charts
together with the kids sounds kind of hard.
Graphics I've created are for them to learn info but I have made them in
advance and print them.
If you are required to create them together with the class, I'm not sure.

If I were a teacher, I'd probably use some other method to teach and still
be visual.
For instance, I might have students write on the chalk board or whiteboard
in columns.
I might be creative and cut out words or sentences in advance and have small
groups put them together by gluing them on paper based on what I'm teaching.
For instance, put nouns, verbs, and adverbs in categories to complete a
grammar exercise.
I might also use felt boards to teach story, alphabet or number concepts.
Felt boards were used in my regular ed classrooms to teach story and
literacy concepts.

I really, really think its too bad when professors of future teachers say
you have to use one way to teach. I tried some ed classes and got this
attitude from a few professors.
I changed majors for that and other reasons.

It must be discouraging Valerie to be under this pressure and feel you need
to teach a certain way just to please those around you.
In your own classroom, as long as the kids learn and you meet curriculum
goals I see no reason why you cannot teach how you want to and that is
meaningful to you as a blind teacher. I feel that professors and staff
supervisors want it their way only as you student teach. What I am saying Ii
s you have less control, less flexibility to use inclusive teaching methods,
and you have to fit into an existing setup in the class. You are given
someone's class and told to teach. That is far different than walking into a
new class at the beginning of the year where you are the teacher and you
have control of the schedule and teaching methods where you can use
alternative techniques to teach.

If I think of ideas, I'll post them.

Ashley