[nobe-l] Looking For A Blind Teacher's Assistant

Treva at olivero.us Treva at olivero.us
Mon May 21 19:19:01 UTC 2018

What are your daily duties? I create documents to make them accessible for
my students. We often get them in hard copy print, pdf, or some other
inaccessible format. I will make them accessible to use on a note taker, on
a computer with a braille display, or hard copy braille. I also work with
teachers to get materials and make sure the students are getting their
assignments in. I provide tech support for students, and sometimes I'll
teach technology or independent living concepts. I also test websites that
teachers want the blind students to use to make sure they are accessible. I
will sometimes go into the classrooms with my students to make sure the
teacher is providing enough verbal instruction and to help students keep up
with the pace of the classroom.
Do you braille assignments for your students? Sometimes.
How do you coordinate with the regular classroom teachers to get materials
from tem? The teacher of blind students and I work together on the
coordinating with general education teachers because I am not always at the
same school with the teacher of blind students. From the beginning of the
year, I try to collaborate with the general education teachers so that they
know that I will work with them.