[NOBE-L] Questions about teaching

Dawn illibrium at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 15 00:31:22 UTC 2019

     My name is Dawn Scott, from San Antonio, TX. I am a 43 year old, married, mother of 5.  I am almost done with my BA in family studies and human development, and am looking into obtaining my teaching certificate. I am low vision, but have a good amount of usable vision. I am looking into teaching consumer science, child development or health nutrition at the middle or high school level. I am also open to other suggestions. My reasoning is older kids can turn in their work electronically and they are self governing. A few visually impaired people disagree with me, but they aren’t teachers. Their general consensus is older students would be more likely to take advantage of a disability. Younger students are more helpful and honest. What has been your experiences with teaching different age groups?
     Has hiring been a big problem for anyone? I am concerned if I do the work to become a teacher in Texas, I won’t get hired because of my disability.
Thanks in advance for your input. I look forward to meeting you all at the NFB convention in Houston.
Dawn Scott

Sent from my iPad