[NOBE-L] Questions about teaching

Andrea Beasley abeasley at jb11.net
Sun Dec 15 18:39:20 UTC 2019

These ladies have said everything so beautifully and I have to agree with
them completely. I earned my BA in History with a minor/licensure in Early
Childhood Education and then obtained a position teaching Kindergarten in a
daycare. I then had 4 kids and was able to stay home.

When I was looking into what I wanted to teach when my kids were all in
school I became a substitute teacher first. I hit all the grade levels and
ranges. I taught in SDC mild, moderate, and severe. I taught elementary,
multiple grade levels, personalized learning, pod learning, and just a
regular classroom. I taught middle where I recurved many f**k you’s, and I
work in the high school where I saw avoidance, talking, back complete
engagement and lots of fun.

With this experience I gained a greater love of teaching and a better idea
as to where I wanted to land. I decided I wanted to give kids the
confidence and start that I gained in school. I am an SDC K-2 teacher.
These kiddos are amazing! I love them to the moon and back. I realized that
I personally do not want to deal with the hormones that go with upper
elementary, middle, high. I love the energy, enthusiasm, and excitement.
This, of course, is a personal preference. You have to have a good behavior
system put in place, high expectations, and lots of praise/rewards when you
are getting what you want. I have multiple systems in my room. Clip chart,
star chart, and class pom pins. They all earn them different things and
they all know how to earn them.

Focus more on what you want to teach and what age group you want to teach.
There are many alternatives that have made blind/visually impaired teachers
successful at every level of education.

Good luck!
Andrea