[nobe-l] Keeping Students' Hands Busy During Presentations

taranabella0 at gmail.com taranabella0 at gmail.com
Fri May 31 01:36:52 UTC 2019

Something that we do that involves movement, but doesn’t distract from a video or from reading a story is involving motion for keywords or ideas. For example, when we were studying weather, every time the students heard the word “thunder,” they would stomp their feet. Every time rain was mentioned, they would pat their knees. Whenever a new part of the water cycle was introduced, the students would clap one time. I teach second and third graders, and typically students don’t need sensory items for a five or 10 minute video, but having a few fidget cubes or squishy items with fun textures that you can typically find at the dollar store could be helpful for kids needing extra sensory input. From my experience, clay and Plato can be messy, and I would especially be careful if the area is carpeted. Also, stress balls can easily roll away, so I would look for something that is not round in shape. Best of luck! It sounds like you have a great program planned.

Tara Abella