[NOBE-L] Project Idea for Next Year's BELL Program

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 18 05:19:56 UTC 2020

I have an idea for a possible project we could do for our state's BELL
program, especially if we are able to meet in person.

Since next year is the anniversary of both Eric Weihenmeyer's climbe up
Mount Everest and the anniversary of 9/11, I thought about doing something
around one of these events. I've thought maybe I'd try something around
9/11, so I've called this concept Project Thunderdog, after Michael
Hingson's book.

My team and I hope to apply some of what we've learned from our project in
2018, but I also know we've never done anything around this concept before.

We know that in some form, we would want the students to hear Michael's
story, ideally directly from him. But we also have learned that any time we
play something pre-recorded, the kids get restless if they're not doing
something with their hands. Also, I've always felt tension etween using
recordings that are already there, or having something custom-made.

I also recognize that if Michael can't be there in person or via vodeo
conference, we'd need to have the story pre-recorded, which is why I feel
that tension. And if we do pre-record the story, the students won't be able
to ask Mike questions.

If he's there live in some way, the students could interact with him,nbut we
also need to have material on hand in case that doesn't work.

I also want to add some activities to make it meaningful to them. And we
also want to possibly integrate some Braille and some literacy into the
lesson, but without the ever-dreaded round-robbin reading or the possibility
of giving them handouts they'll never read.

I do know that in our state, BELL segments usually go for an hour and a half
to 2 hours, but presentation segments rarely last the whole day.

Bottom line: My team and I would need to be creative, but on my own, I'm
stumped for ideas.

So does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.